Cashier Job Description
Cashier is the person whom we get to find in all the stores, banks, hospitals, libraries shopping malls and many more.
The importance of cashier in all the above mentioned places are very high because he is the person whom every customer or visitor of above mentioned places meets at the end to settle the payments for the products purchased or for the services taken.
In this article you would be learn about the key role of a Cashier, duties, responsibilities, salaries, service area, educational qualifications and other skills that should be in a Cashier job.
Role of Cashier
Role of cashier in every place like shopping malls to hospitals is to receive payments from the customers.
It is his main duty to prepare bills and receive payments whether it may be cash, credit/debit cards, coupons and so on.
Most of the people feel cashier job is very simple and easy to perform as they assume that the job of the cashier is just to receive payments.
However this is not true, because a cashier apart from just receiving payments from the customers does many other duties and responsibilities as mentioned in the below points.
Responsibility of Cashier
- The first and foremost duty of a cashier is to check how much money is available at the cash counter before starting the duty and at the end of the day, count the money you’ve gathered and report the store manager.
- Make himself updated with all the discounts on the products and price changes of the products if any
- Preparing bills for the customers including discounts if any
- Receive payments and return back the change to the customers.
- Arrange all of the cash at the counter desk in a secure way.
- If any problem occurs with the cash counter machine then its cashier’s responsibility to apologies the customer and forward the issue to the higher authorities.
- If customers does payments via debit or credit cards then it’s cashier’s responsibility to take customer details and signature.
- When customer makes cash payments then cashier needs to check with the cash given by the customers is original or not.
- To avoid any inconveniences at the cash counter desk, always make sure you have the required change.
- Need to be well updated with product codes if working as a cashier in super markets.
- Respond to request for Proposals, assessing customer needs and recommend effective strategies.
- Enhance customer retention efforts by providing exceptional customer service.
- Evaluate continually the efficiency of operational controls and procedures to maximize departmental production and minimize faults made by staff.
- Negotiate pricing for the optimization of profitability of service or product solutions.
- Generate supplementary revenue from the sales of products and services of cash management.
- Perform department staff’s supervisory duties and coordinate staff for sales coverage in all areas.
- Revise and maintain policies and procedures of cash application in ensuring that they meet changing business requirements.
- Ensure that cash applications team adheres to internal controls.
- Perform risk and cost benefit analysis.
- Manage the cash requests for payments sent to various corporate lockboxes on a daily basis.
- Assist with the cash reconciliation process on a daily and monthly basis.
- Develop and monitor key performance indicators or levels for the cash management group.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles.
- Capacity to manage people and communicate effectively with others.
- Patience in dealing with accounting mistakes or issues.
Above mentioned are some of the main and basic responsibilities of a cashier so if you think cashier’s job is just to receive money from the customers then its advisable to have a look on the above information for better understanding about exact job responsibilities of a cashier.
Salary of Cashier
The salary package of a cashier vary from one organisation to another however it is noticed that as per national salary data the average hourly rate of a cashier ranges between $14,987 – $22,876 including bonus, over time and profit sharing.
However to be more clear about cashier’s salary package lets have a look on below mentioned tables.
Salary according to employer Type
|Employer Type||Salary Range|
|Company||$12,000 – $45,800|
|Franchise||$9,500 – $35,900|
|Self-Employed||$12,500 – $35,000|
|School / School District||$18,000 – $24,400|
|Other Organization||$12,500 – $35,000|
Salary according to years of experience
|Less than 1 year||$8,500 – $45,500|
|1 – 4 years||$10,000 – $46,000|
|5 – 9 years||$12,800 – $46,500|
|10 – 19 years||$20,500 – $49,900|
|20 years or more||$20,500 – $50,500|
Salary according to company size
|Company Size||Salary Range|
|1 – 5||$12,000 – $30,000|
|6 – 10||$12,000 – $30,000|
|10 – 20||$12,000 – $30,000|
|21 – 50||$15,000 – $30,000|
|50 – 99||$20,000 – $30,000|
|100 – 199||$30,000 – $40,000|
|200 – 599||$35,500 – $45,500|
|600 – 999||$50,000 – $55,000|
Read also : Administrative Assistant Job Salary Duty
Cashier Educational and skills requirement
Education and other skills required for cashier job is mentioned in the below points.
Applying for cashier job ion different organisations may require different skills and educational qualifications however below mentioned are the basic things that every applicant need to have while applying for this perfect profession in any organisation.
- Graduation especially in finance is needed to apply for cashier’s job
- No prior experience is need but if have a prior experience then that would be an added advantage for the applicant.
- Capable of understanding financial fluctuations and handle the situations perfectly
- Must have perfect knowledge on how to prepare ledger books.
- Capable of working under stress level
- Highly patient and must have friendly nature
- Excellent communication and computer skills
- High-level proficiency in Ms Office suite.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles.
Therefore above mentioned is the brief description about cashier’s job which will for sure helps you a lot in understanding what is what about this profession before applying for this post.
This profession is highly suitable for the people who are planning to start their career path.
And it is noticed that students or young teenagers give high preference to this job because it is proven as one of the stress free and perfect job especially for the people who likes to work for part time.
We get to find about 50 percent of people working as a cashier are part timers and are young teenagers.
FAQs on Cashier Job
What is a Cashier Job in profession?
Cashier is the person whom we get to find in all the stores, banks, hospitals, libraries shopping malls and many more and who prepare bills and receive payments whether it may be cash, credit/debit cards, coupons and so on.
What are the skills of a cashier?
Capable of understanding financial fluctuations and handle the situations perfectly, Must have perfect knowledge on how to prepare ledger books, Capable of working under stress level, Highly patient and must have friendly nature, Excellent communication and computer skills etc.
What qualifications does a cashier need?
Graduation especially in finance is needed to apply for cashier’s job, No prior experience is need but if have a prior experience then that would be an added advantage for the applicant, High-level proficiency in Ms Office suite etc.
What are cashiers supposed to do?
Preparing bills for the customers including discounts if any, Receive payments and return back the change to the customers, Arrange all of the cash at the counter desk in a secure way, If any problem occurs with the cash counter machine then its cashier’s responsibility to apologies the customer and forward the issue to the higher authorities etc